This week we made a fairly big technical changes in order to make our service more secure. With any big change there are bound to be issues, and although we tested thoroughly and squashed most of them, two slipped through. These issues started on Tuesday and were discovered & addressed about 48 hours later.
Issue #1: Some end-users were unable to vote via our widget – they would have received a 404 error message.
Issue #2: Some Admins could not delete items in Settings (such as gadgets, custom statuses, API keys, etc).
These issues are both resolved and should not occur again, but obviously let us know if they do. Our apologies for the issue – big technology transitions can always cause unexpected issues, but as our new QA hire gets ramped up and puts processes in place, we hope to have fewer of them slip through.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
Community Manager, UserVoice