While the back-end changes we made this weekend were largely successful, we did have a few issues crop up.
Rules Temporarily Broken
Ticket system rules based around assigning tickets to specific people broke. Sometimes these were assigned to the wrong Admin, sometimes they were assigned to a nonexistent Admin. We've now fixed the rules and set the affected tickets to “Unassigned” (so be sure to check your Unassigned list). If more than 25 tickets were affected, we've emailed you directly.
For some users who were active on multiple UserVoie accounts, the password reset process would not actually allow them to reset their password. Thankfully, we believe this to be a very small number of users, and this is now resolved.
While we're always bummed when bugs crop up, we're happy to report that these are pretty minor and limited bugs considering the scope of what we did on Saturday, and they should be completely resolved. If you see any further issues like these, please let us know!
Head of Community, UserVoice